Thursday 13 March 2008

Nato/a a...

The other day I received a piece of paper by mail certifying that my taxes are paid properly. This was good news, but taking a closer look at the paper I couldn't help but burst out laughing right there on the street:

Name: Maris
Born in: the Soviet Union

Well, it's true. Except that geographically it could mean anything from Lake Baikal to Kazakhstan to Murmansk, as the Soviet Union reached from Japan to Sweden and from Pakistan to the Arctic Ocean. It included Estonia too, of course, but "born in the Soviet Union" sounds very much like telling a 70-year-old Italian that they were born in the Italian Social/Fascist Republic. It's true, but not completely correct.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Abbot said...

So true! I love having to put down born in "Washington" which actually could mean many things, Washington, Connecticut. Washington, Missouri, Washington State, Washington DC. I try to explain that it is absolutely essential to put "D.C." but without success. So I am born in "Washington, USA" wherever that may be!